Formation of brave nonprofits from concept phase to U.S. tax-exempt status.
The Campbell Law Firm guides clients through the formation and exemption process by serving as a thought partner and problem solver.
The establishment of a U.S. section 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization is both a state and federal level process that involves filing the Articles or Certificate of Incorporation, obtaining a federal tax ID number, preparing bylaws and other relevant policies, and applying for exemption from federal taxes.
How can The Campbell Law Firm help?
We know the process – The Campbell Law Firm team, led by Managing Attorney Nic Campbell, is experienced and prepared to do exactly what is required for your organization to succeed. We will guide you through the process, from concept phase to the acquisition of U.S. tax exemption, and help establish your nonprofit for long-term success.
Our team shows up differently. TCLF does not have transaction-based relationships with clients; we have meaningful relationships. You can reach out to us at anytime and, most importantly, depend on us to know your organization, your work, and provide you with the legal support and advice, and thought partnership and leadership you want.
The Tax Exemption Process:
We will work closely with you to articulate your past, planned, and future activities and grant making strategy, as well as your ability to comply with applicable law based on your proposed activities, grant making, and risk management protocols.
We will review your governance structure and provide a clear framework to evidence adequate oversight over your operations and work.
BUDGETING AND FINANCES
We will help prepare your current organizational budget and a projected multi-year organizational budget, including itemization where necessary, as well as your most recent balance sheet.
ENGAGEMENT AND FOLLOW UP
We will respond to any and all inquiries from the Internal Revenue Service about your tax exemption application (Form 1023) and accompanying materials.
STATE REGISTRATION AND EXEMPTIONS
We will register you as a charity in the state in which you plan to operate so that you can do business and solicit charitable contributions, and will also file for exemption from that state’s corporate franchise, sales, and other taxes.
Throughout our engagement, we will have bi-weekly check-ins to review our progress and next-steps.
- Kick-off meeting
- Initial document review (Diligence)
- Discussion of vision and mission
- Discussion of U.S. formation and exemption decision
PHASE II: EXEMPTION
- Walk-through, preparation, and completion of Form 1023 responses
- Drafting and finalizing key organizational policies + bylaws
- Submission of Form 1023 to the Internal Revenue Service
- U.S. tax exemption secured
PHASE I: FORMATION
- Determination of the initial officers of the Corporation
- Drafting + Review of Articles/Certificate of Incorporation
- Secure Employer Identification Number
- Articles/Certificate of Incorporation registered with the state
PHASE III: STATE REGISTRATION
- Completing state charitable registration(s)
- Finalizing charitable state tax exemption(s)
- State registration(s) and tax exemption(s) finalized